CRESSKILL, N.J. — With summer closing and school days resuming, AAA reminds drivers to watch out for pedestrians before and after school hours.
In the last 10 years, roughly one in four child pedestrian fatalities occurred between 3 and 7 p.m., according to AAA.
The first day of school in Closter and Demarest is Wednesday, Sept. 2, and school in Cresskill opens on Thursday, Sept. 3, while the Academy of the Holy Angels starts on Wednesday, Sept. 9.
Here are a few tips to remember while driving during the school year:
- Slow down and be mindful of speed limits in school zones
- Come to a complete stop and check crosswalks for children
- Eliminate Distractions such as cell phones
- Slowly backup when in reverse and check all blind spots
- Watch for bicycles and make sure children wear bike helmets
- Talk to teen drivers about safety
for more safety tips and other info.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.