CLOSTER, N.J. — Closter has set a 9 p.m. curfew for unaccompanied minors on Mischief Night, Oct. 30, and Halloween, Oct. 31.
The Red Cross offered safety tips to help trick-or-treaters have fun:
- Costume safety: Add reflective tape to costumes, and trick-or-treat bags. Light clothing is easier to see. Use face make-up instead of masks, which can obstruct vision, and make sure costumes are constructed of flame-resistant material with no wispy attachments.
- Safe Trick-or-Treating: Plan the route ahead of time, know where the kids are going. If they are young, be sure an adult is accompanying them. Bring a flashlight to see pathways in the dark, and for visibility from cars. Only visit homes with a porch light on.
- Don’t go inside houses. Don’t walk in the street; if there is no sidewalk, walk at the edge of the road facing traffic. Cross streets only at corners, and check traffic. Don’t use alleys or cut across yards, or between parked cars. Be cautious around animals, especially dogs.
- Welcoming kids: Make sure Halloween is a fun night by keeping outdoor lights on. Sweep leaves from sidewalks. steps and driveways, and clear any obstacles. Restrain your pets. Use a glow stick instead of candles, and drive cautiously. Youngsters are excited, and may forget to look before crossing.
- First aid app: Download the free Red Cross First Aid App. This will give you instant access to expert advice for everyday emergencies. You can also use the Emergency App for weather alerts.
Find these and all Red Cross apps by searching for the American Red Cross in your device’s app store, or CLICK HERE .
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.