The boroughs of Closter and Haworth have entered into a challenge for their two 5K races in September.
Closter Mayor John C. Glidden Jr. and Haworth Mayor John W. Smart, along with a councilperson and resident from each borough, will race as teams. The combined times of each team will determine the winner.
The losing team will travel to the winner’s borough to plant a tree of a type and location of the winner’s choosing.
Closter's annual Dom Mircovich Memorial 5K is a run/walk event and includes a Kids Fun Run.
It takes place at Memorial Park on Harrington Avenue in Closter rain or shine.
The schedule is,
- 8 a.m.- Pickup and same day registration by the basketball courts
- 9 a.m.- Jim O'Halloran Kids Fun Run (12 and under)
- 9:30 a.m.- Dom Mircovich Memorial 5K Walk/Run Race Start
- 10:30 a.m. – Award ceremony by the baseball field
The race takes place on a USA Track & Field certified course beside the reservoir and through neighborhoods into the town center. Water stops will be available.
The Haworth 5K is on Saturday, Sept. 24 and includes a free fun run for children eight and under.
Check in location is 142 Terrace St. in Haworth. The schedule is,
- 8 a.m. - Check-In begins
- 8:45 a.m. - Town Motors Fun Run
- 9:30 a.m. - 5K Run/Walk begins
- 10:30 a.m. - Awards Ceremony
The course is USATF certified and sanctioned, with timing and scoring by Best Racing Systems. There will be Mile Time Splits and multiple water stops.