CLOSTER, N.J. -- In need of a night out? Local residents have organized a "Helping Hours" event, on Thursday, March 2, that will feature dinner, drinks and a silent auction at Sear House, in Closter.
The evening is a signature event of the Parkinson's Foundation, headquartered in New York City, and it will benefit Parkinson's research.
Organizers describe the event as a special tasting of sangria and Macallan scotch; a gourmet dinner, served buffet-style; and a silent auction.
Here's a sampling of the silent auction items:
- dinner for four at the Friars Club, in Manhattan;
- loge box tickets to a New York Islanders versus Boston Bruins game;
- tickets to a Brooklyn Nets game;
- tickets to a Mets game;
- 30 tickets to a Somerset Patriots game -- including an opportunity to throw out the first pitch and meet Sparky Lyle, former Yankees pitcher and recipient of the Cy Young Award;
- a gift certificate for a cosmetic procedure at Millburn Laser Center;
- a pearl necklace from Roman Jewelers, in Flemington; and
- a fitness package at Life Time Athletic Berkeley Heights.
The mission of the Parkinson's Foundation is to invest in promising scientific research that will end Parkinson's disease and improve the lives of people with Parkinson's and their families, through improved treatments, support and care.
Event co-chairs Stephanie Goldman of Norwood, Amy Sole of Mountain Lakes and Doug Stern of Demarest organized this event in honor of their loved ones touched by Parkinson's.
"There's still no cure for Parkinson's disease," Goldman said.
"That's why my co-chairs and I are driven to bring our community together each year to raise more awareness and critical funds to support the Parkinson's Foundation's work to end Parkinson's for the one million people in the U.S., who, like my father, live with Parkinson's disease."
Since 2014, the trio's Helping Hours events have raised more than $80,000 for Parkinson's research. You can also organize your own Helping Hours event: click here for more info.
Tickets are $125. Click here to buy tickets, or contact the foundation at 800-457-6676 or email@example.com.
The event will run from 7-10 p.m. Sear House is located at 411 Piermont Rd., in Closter. If you can't make it out that evening, you can also donate directly, here.